Like Nicholai Ginovaef, Tyrell is one of the "supervisors" assigned by Umbrella to gather battle data on B.O.W. performance. According to his backstory, he originally served the French Foreign Legion, before he was apprehended by military authorities in the Netherlands for selling arms in the black market.
As Carlos, the player will encounter Tyrell in one of two different locations in Raccoon City Hospital, and his death is played out differently in each scene. If the player meets Tyrell in the basement of the hospital, he dies trying to open a safe boobytrapped with explosives. However, if the player chose to explore the second floor first, Carlos will encounter Nicholai cornering a wounded Tyrell. Tyrell blows himself up with a grenade, but Nicholai escapes by jumping through the window.
Raccoon City Trilogy Remake Differences
The remake version of Resident Evil 3 changes Tyrell’s fate and appearances:
- No longer a minor supporting character:
- As both Carlos and Jill's backer.
- He and Carlos was the first to witness the fate of both Brad Vickers and Marvin Branagh, having had too late to save the latter from a zombified former.
- Was not aware of Nikolai's betrayal, and had been watching over Jill when she was infected by Nemesis' virus while Carlos looking for a vaccine created by a late-Nathaniel Bard (whom Nikolai killed).
- After Jill is vaccinated and awake in 30 September sometimes after Carlos split up, Tyrell managed to contact the government about the t-virus vaccine, allowing to buy a time to evacuate before Raccoon City was bombed.
- Killed by Nemesis' second form in front of Jill. His last word to Jill is to run and save herself to secure the vaccine in her hand.
- Tyrell was thirty-two at the time of his death, according to BIOHAZARD 3 LAST ESCAPE Official Guidebook - Complete Conquest of Nemesis.
- In Nemesis, S.D. Perry's novelization of the game, Tyrell is renamed Ken Franklin and dies blowing himself up trying to kill Nicholai.