A Tyrant is an enemy and/or boss in the Resident Evil series of survival horror games. They are biologically engineered organisms created by the Umbrella Corporation to serve as potential soldiers. Several variations of the Tyrant have appeared in the games. Unfortunately for them, many were created with their oversized hearts exposed, this being a major weakness in an otherwise fearsome foe.
Since their debut, the Tyrant series became one of the most recognisable and popular characters of the franchise, the most particularly notable Tyrant being Nemesis.
Description[edit | edit source]
Concept[edit | edit source]
Capcom artists went through a trial-and-error process designing the Tyrant creatures and their transformations. For example, the T-103 (more popularly known as "Mr. X") was originally envisioned as armed with firearms; in some sketches it can be seen wearing a respirator and various armored outfits instead of a trenchcoat (there were also other types of coats, including a labcoat), and even its overall physical build has varied greatly (from very slim to extremely muscular).The only consistent attribute of most Tyrant creature variations seems to be their large, exposed beating hearts which usually serve as their only vulnerable area.
Types of Tyrants[edit | edit source]
- Nemesis, possibly the series' most well-known Tyrant, featured in various games.
- Bandersnatch featured in various games.
- T-A.L.O.S. from Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles.
- Ivan from Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The crossover fighting game Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was going to have a Tyrant (unconfirmed which one specifically) as a playable character but the idea was dropped.