Nobunaga (織田 信長, Oda Nobunaga) is a character from the Onimusha series of action-adventure games. He was the main villain in the first three games. He also appeared in Onimusha Tactics and Onimusha Blade Warriors.
When alive, Nobunaga was an exceptional warlord who aspired to unify Japan. With the victory against Imagawa in Okehazama, he rode a tidal wave of success. Nobunaga's victory was short-lived when he was shot in the throat by an arrow. Though thought dead by all, he was revived by the Genma Lord Fortinbras to serve as his general. After Fortinbras' seeming demise at the hands of Samanosuke, Nobunaga became the new Genma Lord and ordered his troops to conquer all of Japan. He was then defeated by Jubei Yagyu, only to return once more. At last (in Onimusha 3) Samanosuke destroyed him, ensuring that he would not ever rise to power again. Nobunaga's soul was then absorbed into the Oni gauntlet. Unfortunately, with Fortinbras resurrected, Hideyoshi was almost able to carry out Nobunaga's wicked plans. Nobunaga doesn't appear in Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, but his powerful spirit was harnessed from the gauntlet to bestow Soki with the power to defeat the resurrected Fortinbras.
In Blade Warriors, there are four swords of varying types that Nobunaga can use in battle.
- Heshikiri - Nobunaga's beloved weapon. This sword cuts through whole bookcases like butter.
- Provider - This evil sword is decorated with the name "Mukan-no-daifu-Atsumori".
- Red Saber - A mysterious weapon whose blade is formed by light. Also used by Jubei Yagyu.
- Bamboo Sword - When a famous swordsman trained with this blade, it helped him master his art. Also used by Jubei Yagyu, Oyu and Samanosuke.
- The Demon King's weapon of choice is the Genma Samonji. Ironically, it is this same legendary Sword of Flames which Samanosuke uses to destroy him a final time.