Profile[edit | edit source]
He is a cocky, ambitious warlord whose mannerism is very close to Dante of Devil May Cry fame. He also tends to speak in a mixture of English and Japanese. Masamune usually wields a single katana, but he can store and fight with six swords at once (three in each hand, held between the fingers). His loyal retainer (beginning with Sengoku BASARA 2) is Kojūrō Katakura. Masamune was depicted in a rivalry with Yukimura, but more recently his rivalry seems to be with Mitsunari. His element is lightning.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- Kagehide - Masamune's basic weapon.
- Wyvern Tear - A normal sword with weak attack power and defense.
- Gorgon's Claw - A better sword than Wyvern Tear, but not by much.
- Dragon Fang - A special sword with medium attack power and weak defense that adds 5% lightning damage with each hit.
- Claw Breaker - BASARA gauge fills quicker than normal.
- Uroboros - A special sword with low attack power and very high defense that adds a bonus hit to every blow when an enemy is in a "primed" state.
- Furious Dragon - 10% chance of extra lightning based attack damage.
- Tiamat - Has the same properties as Dragon Fang, but with much higher attack power and medium defense.
- Alastor - The legendary sword from Devil May Cry, which has the same properties as Dragon Fang and Tiamat, but with the ultimate attack power and defense.
Skills[edit | edit source]
- Jet-X - Masamune crosses his six swords and slashes forward.
- Death Fang - Masamune launches the enemy using three swords in one hand.
- Magnum Step - Lightning attribute. Masamune rushes forward with three swords in one hand and mows down the enemy. (Unlocked at Level 3)
- War Dance - Masamune uses six swords for a temporary period of time. His normal attacks are more powerful, but his defense is lowered. (Unlocked at Level 7)
- Hell Dragon - Lightning attribute. Masamune charges energy with his sword, then shoots it forward. (Unlocked at Level 18)
Historical Information[edit | edit source]
The character is loosely based on a famous Japanese samurai. Heir to a long line of powerful daimyo in the Tohoku region, he went on to found the modern-day city of Sendai. An outstanding tactician, he was made all the more iconic for his missing eye, for which he was often called dokuganryū (独眼竜), or the "one-eyed dragon".
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The rivalry between Masamune and Mitsunari resembles Dante and Vergil's. It's very interesting because Masamune's voice actor is Reuben Langdon, who also voices Dante in the Devil May Cry series, and Mitsunari uses some of Vergil's moves.
- Perhaps as an acknowledgement to the similarities, Capcom released a DLC Dante alternate costume for Masamune and a Vergil costume for Mitsunari in Sengoku BASARA 4.
- In the anime, his eyes are blue but in the manga, they are brown.
- Masamune is 19 years old.
- Ryota Niitsuma planned to have Masamune in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom as a playable character but in the end he wasn't included.
- Rekka, from Capcom's action RPG Gaist Crusher, battles a dragon-type Gaist version of Date called Jet Masamune and, after its defeat, can don its armor.
- He is voiced by Nakai Kazuya, whose well-known voicing roles includes Rononoa Zoro from One Piece, and Hijikata from Gintama.
References[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
For more of this character, see their gallery.