One of the gatekeepers of Temen-ni-gru, half-blinded and sealed away for 2000 years by Sparda, he anxiously awaits his chance at revenge. He possesses overwhelming strength and a variety of light attacks.
When Dante enters Beowulf's chamber, he senses that Dante has "Sparda's blood", and attacks. During the ensuing battle, Dante blinds him.
Later, Beowulf tries to chase down Sparda's scent and instead finds Vergil, assuming him to still be Dante. However, Vergil immediately kills Beowulf and he falls apart, realizing his mistake. Vergil then takes Beowulf's soul as a Devil Arm. Dante later obtains it, after Arkham activates the Temen-ni-gru and Vergil falls into an abyss.
- Beowulf's name is based off Beowulf the Geatish hero of English legend.
- Beowulf's design seems to be based off the mythical Pazuzu ,a Sumerian wind demon with the body of a man, the head of a dog, the legs of an eagle, two pairs of wings and a scorpion's tail.
- Beowulf, along with the other gatekeepers of the Temen-ni-gru, represent one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Beowulf represents the Sin of Wrath.
- Beowulf shares a theme song with Cerberus titled "Suffer". However, Beowulf's theme song is slightly remixed.
- A poster of a Beowulf "movie" (Beowulf the Lightbeast) can be seen in Dante's office in Devil May Cry 4.