Bengus (べんがす), is a Japanese freelance illustrator, character designer, and game creator. He is known for being one of Capcom's most famous main designers from the company's early days and is considered one of the most influential artists in the art, comic, and gaming communities. He has had several different pen names before his current one, some of which include Mido Shiito (水戸椎土), CRMK, Holy Homerun, and others. Since 2009, he has often gone by the pen name Gouda Cheese.
Bengus grew up copying Leiji Matsumoto and Akira Toriyama's illustrations as a hobby and found that he had a passion for art. He joined Capcom in 1992 and used paints and markers early on. He describes his style as somewhat counterproductive as he usually conceives, sketches, and colors an illustration in one shot. Back when he used paper media, he would occasionally touch up artwork with a few polishing details. He now uses Photoshop and mainly draws with a tablet. He left the company in 2006 and mainly works as a freelancer, though he has done a promotional image for Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
After several years, Bengus returned to work on a Capcom fighting game, being one of the key artwork artists for Street Fighter V.
Bengus is one of the many Capcom artists who contributed to the "Capcom vs. Osamu Tezuka Characters" art exhibition which ran from October 2020 to February 2021.
- Street Fighter - character art.
- Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom - backgrounds.
- Alien vs. Predator - backgrounds, in-game artwork.
- Super Street Fighter II - promotional + main illustrator.
- Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors - main illustrator, in-game demo artwork.
- Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge - main illustrator, in-game demo artwork.
- Street Fighter Alpha - main illustrator, in-game demo artwork.
- Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact - Akuma's portrait art.
- Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara - in-game demo artwork.
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 - character art, promotional illustrator, in-game demo artwork.
- Final Fight 3 - promotional illustrator.
- X-Men vs. Street Fighter - promotional illustrator, in-game demo artwork.
- Star Gladiator - promotional illustrator.
- Red Earth - in-game demo artwork.
- Street Fighter EX - character select screen and portrait art.
- Darkstalkers 3 - promotional illustrator, in-game demo artwork.
- Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - promotional illustrator, in-game demo artwork.
- Plasma Sword - promotional illustrator.
- Power Stone - promotional illustrator.
- Cannon Spike - promotional illustrator.
- Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes - promotional illustrator, in-game demo artwork.
- Power Stone 2 - promotional illustrator.
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes - character art, promotional artwork.
- Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams - character designer, promotional artwork.
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds - promotional artwork.
- Street Fighter V - promotional artwork, in-game art for Character Story and Tutorial mode.
- Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - promotional art.
- Devil May Cry 5 - Official Japanese Steelbook art.
- Capcom Beat ’Em Up Bundle - promotional artwork.
- Capcom Fighting Collection - promotional artwork.
Miscellaneous art (Capcom)
- For some reason, "Naoto Kuroshima" is written as, and generally believed to be, his real name on some online sites, but this has never been officialy confirmed by Bengus himself, who only uses a pseudonym on his social media profiles.
- Much like Akiman, he seems to admire the works of Kunio Okawara. He tends to like a variety of different promotional illustrations created by Okawara on Twitter. On that note, Bengus would also draw fan art of Mobile Suit Gundam characters sometimes outside of his Capcom duties.