The 194X series are a group of vertically scrolling shoot 'em up games based on actual events which occurred during World War II. The first three games were extremely popular and have been included on several compilation titles, such as the first volume of Capcom Generations and later on Capcom Classics Collection.
Games in the series
- 1942 - (1984)
- 1943: The Battle of Midway - (1987) - The first sequel introduced a health meter and the bomb system. The goal was to attack the Japanese Air Fleet that bombed the players' American Aircraft Carrier, pursue all Japanese Air and Sea forces, fly through sixteen levels of play, get to the Battleship Yamato and destroy it.
- 1943 Kai - (1988 - Japan only) - Enhanced version of 1943 with most of the graphics and sounds reworked, and the weapons made more extreme. In addition, the player pilots a Boeing-Stearman Model 75 biplane instead of the P-38 Lightning.
- 1941: Counter Attack - (1990) - The goal is to shoot down enemy airplanes and collect weapon power-ups, with rank increases and the ability to perform air loops now added. However, the player is only able to perform three loops per level.
- 19XX: The War Against Destiny - (1996) - In this arcade-only release, players were now able to choose between three different planes: the Lightning, the Mosquito and the Shinden.
- 1944: The Loop Master - (2000) - This entry introduced the ability to become temporarily invincible. By holding the fire button down, the charge bar would fill, and when full, the plane would fly up and enter an invincible state.
- 194X: 3D Dogfight - (2006)
- 1942: Joint Strike - (2008)
- 1942: First Strike - (2010)